Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Royal Donut Company

If there's one thing Frank and I agree on, it's that there isn't a good doughnut place in this town.  Generally, if I want a chocolate-covered doughnut, I just go to Harp's.  They're not great, but they're okay.  Frank prefers cake doughnuts though, and good ones are harder to come by.  Now, before you tell me to try Rick's, let me explain that I just want a freaking doughnut store, not a bakery.  It makes me desperate for a Dunkin's!

Anyway, Royal Donut is not bad.  This is the one on Shiloh.  They open early, like they should, and you can even drop by around 2 am if you use the drive-up window.  In fact, if you place a large enough order, they'll even deliver it!  They have the usual doughnuts and coffee, but they also have sausage rolls and biscuits and gravy on their menu.  We have tried them yet, but Frank is game.  My favorite is the doughnut holes.

When we first moved here, we tried Royal Donut, and at that point they kind of sucked.  They've recently improved, but their doughnuts are still a little dry.  That's one reason the doughnut holes are my favorite - because they're small enough that they aren't as dry.  Also, you get a dozen for a dollar!  What more could you ask for?  Well, I believe they're available in several flavors.  I just usually get the plain glazed ones.  Overall, I'd have to give them 3 stars.  Not great, but good.  (Especially the doughnut holes!)

Royal The Donut Co on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment