Monday, November 8, 2010

Mel's Hard Luck Diner

This restaurant is in Branson, and it's really good.  We went on a Friday night, the first weekend of the Christmas shows in Branson, so it was packed.  And it still managed to be good.  I had the pot roast sandwich, which was called something like the Hot Beefin' Somethingorother.  It's actual pot roast, cut into cubes, on a hoagie, with brown gravy.  Add mashed potatoes and the vegetable of the day (green beans) and it's amazing.  This is the best open-face roast beef sandwich I have ever had.  Most places use sliced deli meat, although Cracker Barrel uses a slice of pot roast.  But not Mel's!  You get huge cubes of pot roast!  The green beans were a bit generic, but the mashed potatoes were great, the gravy was great, and the beef is almost falling apart.  I had to pick off a few pieces of fat, but there should be fat on a pot roast.  My only complaint was that I wish there was a bit more hoagie.

An added bonus at Mel's is the singing servers.  Yes, the wait staff takes turns singing, while they are filling your order.  You can even buy their CDs in the gift shop.  They all have amazing voices and I was actually tempted to buy a CD or two.  I also caught a glimpse of one of their sundaes, and it was so huge I'm not sure 2 people could finish it.  The sandwich was so good that I have to give them 4-1/2 stars.  Great food, great singing, great service, even though they were packed.



Edit: added photo from May 2012.

Mel's Hard Luck Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment