Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Top China

This place is in a strip mall on Highway 71 in Bella Vista, near Allen's grocery.

The restaurant itself is basically a hole in the wall.  There is NO buffet (I consider that a good thing!).  There are 2 booths and I think there were 6 tables, mostly for 2 people.  If you eat in, you'll get your food on a styrofoam plate or in a to-go container and they have plastic forks for you to use.  I definitely got the impression that it's mostly a to-go kind of place.  Also, the people upfront were Chinese, but so were the people in back, in the kitchen!

Okay, so my mom and I ate there and I have to admit I have been back a few times, because they're fast and easy to get to in Bella Vista.  Here's what we've tried so far:

Combination Plate: Pork Fried Rice with Sesame Chicken and Eggroll:  The rice was good, but I didn't notice too much about it.  Dishes here come with White Rice unless you get some kind of combo plate.  The chicken was a bit sweet and covered in sesame seeds.  I liked it.  The eggroll was actually fried, but somewhat generic.  I don't think it's homemade.

Chicken with Garlic Sauce:  It's listed as a Hot dish, but I found it semi-mild.  I mean, I could taste a little heat, but not that much.  I did find a little round pepper in it though.  There are a ton of vegetables in this dish, especially broccoli, and I really liked it.  Had a sweet undertone.

Mongolian Beef:  Also listed as Hot, and this time I could tell, but it wasn't overly hot.  Lots of regular onions and green onions, which I love.  Also had a sweet undertone.

Spring Roll: My mom ate this, so all I can say is that it looked like a Chinese spring roll.

Overall, I liked it.  The 3 dishes I've tried so far all had a sweet undertone to them, but that's fine with me.  I also like the fact that they can make it hot; too many places nowadays have Americanized the crap out of their food.  I'm provisionally giving them 4 stars because the food is good and fast, but I haven't tried their noodles yet.  Also, they have stuff on their menu that I've never heard of, so I'm looking forward to experimenting!

Top China on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment